Thursday, May 10, 2012

Gone Wireless! With the Logitech M510 and K270

Finally converted to the wireless input setup! Before, I was afraid of terrible input lag and bad range based on newegg/amazon reviews. I guess some people just didn't take care of their products or didn't have any luck. Anyways, lets go on with the brief review of these products.

M510
 Before this mouse, I impulse bought the Marathon Mouse. I think the model was M705. So here's the list of features of the Marathon Mouse and things I'd like to point out:

+3 Hour battery life
+Ergonomic feel (when I tried it at best buy)
+ Frictionless scroll wheel

- Cramped my hand after some use. It's not like my IM Explorer where I can just lay my hand on the mouse. I had to sort of claw grip it since my hands are big.
 - Sensor was off-centered to the upper right of the mouse (facing down). This was the main reason I exchanged this product with the M510. Normal browsing was a hassle, even for just click programs on the taskbar and desktop. The mouse pointer goes along an unusual arc when the mouse is pivoted and translated. So in order to get accurate motion, you have to keep the mouse straight.

After getting the 510, here is what I noticed:

+Good battery life. I really don't mind changing the batteries at least every year.
+Better ergonomic feel. It's better for me to claw grip a mouse that is mostly symmetrical.
+Sensor is still off-centered, but only to the right (when mouse is facing down). There is still a slight arc when I pivot the mouse. It still throws off accuracy, but it is way more tolerable. For serious gameplay, I would just use a mouse with a centered sensor. But I use this mouse for messing around in games like LoL. I haven't tried it for FPS, but I imagine it wouldn't be the best experience.
+Range is awesome. Could be used from across the other end of my room and into the bathroom. Of course, there has to be nothing in the way. In my case, my desktop is in the way since I put the receiver in the back, but a wall will totally hinder the connection.

- Off- centered sensor

K270

This keyboard has the basic layout, with basic keys (non-flat). The keys are a bit cramped together so that when I rest my fingers on ASDF, my pinky hangs on the left edge of the 'A' key as if it is about to fall off. This doesn't really hinder my typing though. Once I start stroking (lol), I'm still capable of hitting all the keys accurately.

A surprise was how responsive the keyboard is. I decided to give a Stepmania test and I was pinning down Flawless points as if I was on my wired keyboard. This was a major plus for me. Also, the range is just as far as the mouse.

The construction does feel a bit cheap though. When I hold it, it feels like it would break easily. For example, it would snap all the way through the internals if I step on it lightly. The good thing about this, is that the keyboard is super light and small. So it would be easier to carry around for LAN parties.

Conclusion

I'm completely happy with these purchases. Once I find a cheap wireless logitech mouse with a unifying receiver that has the mouse sensor in the middle, I will purchase it immediately. But for now, I'm pretty satisfied going wireless and I wish I would've done it sooner.


No comments:

Post a Comment